Image via Ohio University
For today’s Foodie Friday, we are considering a fresh twist on the standard brown bag lunch.
In a time when saving money and seeking healthier options is on everyone’s mind, packing lunch for your little one is a no-brainer! Now that we are deep into winter and mid-way through the school year, it may be time to freshen up his or her school lunch.
Check out these fun ideas from Parenting.com:
We especially love this update on the boring ham and cheese sandwich. Easy Ham and Veggie Pinwheels are a healthy way to brighten up his day!
Photo via tasteofhome.com
Ham and Veggie Pinwheels by Rosemary Black
Prep time: 10 minutes // Serves: 4
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; assemble wraps.
- 4 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 large slices baked ham
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
1. Arrange the tortillas on a cutting board. Spread each with about 3 tablespoons cream cheese, then top with cucumber, ham, and tomato slices.
2. Roll up each tortilla, pressing down firmly as you go. Place wraps, seam side down, on a cutting board, and cut each into 4 sections.
Per serving: 314 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated), 736 mg sodium, 51 mg cholesterol.
We’d love to hear your tips and tricks for packing a lunch with a punch. Share them in the comments below!