Tumblr Thursday Guest Post by Cookie’s Kids Mom Martha Scully
Calling all parents and caregivers! You are responsible for children’s sun-safety, so be sure to brush up on your knowledge of sunscreen this year! According to Health Canada, “Exposure to UVA and UVB radiation can cause skin damage, eye damage and weaken the body’s immune system.” But our bodies need vitamin D, so exposure to UV rays also helps us pump up our vitamin D too.
Parents and caregivers play an important role in the development of sun-safe habits. Everyone wants to stay outside, playing all day and enjoying the sun. That’s ok, but be sure to take steps to protect yourself and the kids for the future.
- Try to time your outdoor time before 11am or after 4pm, when the sun is the least harmful
- If you’re out in prime-time, stay in the shade as much as possible; if you’re in the sun, cover up to protect your skin
- Use sunscreen that’s SPF 15 or higher and ‘Broad Spectrum” for protection against UVA and UVB rays
- Apply 20 minutes before you go out, and reapply 20 minutes after you’re out to ensure proper coverage
- If you go swimming or work up a sweat, reapply often to ensure you’re always covered
- Make sure you get all the sensitive parts: lips, ears, nose… and feet if you’re like me!
Remember these tips to ensure that you can have fun all summer!
About this Cookie’s Kids Mom
Martha Scully is the owner and founder of CanadianSitter.ca and CanadianNanny.ca. When she is not helping thousands of parents across Canada find childcare, she is raising her two busy daughters in beautiful Nanaimo, BC. She has been featured on CanadaAM, in Today’s Parent, the Globe & Mail, as well as being selected as the 2008 SavvyMom Entrepreneur of the Year.
Would you like to be a Cookie’s Kids Mom and be featured next Tumblr Thursday? You can submit a post in our submission box - we’ll credit you and add you to our Cookie’s Kids Mom blog roll!