What You’ll Need
Empty shoe box with a lid
X-Acto knife (ask an adult)
1. Use the point of a sharp pencil to punch a hole in one of the shorter ends of the shoe box.
2. Ask an adult to use an X-Acto knife to cut a square in the opposite end of the box, directly across from the hole. The square should measure 2 inches (5.08 centimeters) on each side.
3. Use scissors to cut a square of wax paper that measures 3 inches (7.62 centimeters) on each side.
4. Place the wax paper directly over the square you cut in the box. Tape the edges of the wax paper to the box.
5. Take the camera box to a dimly lit room and turn on a lamp. Stand about 5 feet (1.5 meters) from the lamp.
6. Cover your head and pinhole camera with a blanket. Be sure that the end with the wax paper is facing you and the end with the pinhole is facing the lamp.
7. Hold your pinhole camera at arms length from your face and aim it at the lamp. Keep it steady until you see an upside-down image of the lamp.